A two and a half year old child died on Monday at the University Children’s Clinic of bacterial infection complications, the Clinic informed on Wednesday.

The little girl was admitted on Monday afternoon at the Children’s Hospital with signs of serious bacterial infection.

Previously, the child was relatively healthy, with a respiratory infection treated for a week by a general practitioner. That day due to worsening of the condition, the child was brought to the Clinic and was admitted to the intensive care unit, where it was placed on a respirator. But despite all the taken treatment procedures after a stay of 12 hours the child died, the Clinic said.